Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Epic Journey

A view of my Command Module in the Clubman


Anyone who knows me even just a little knows I don't like to drive. Being a one car family for most of my married life, I did not log a lot of hours behind the wheel and consequently my skill and confidence slowly deteriorated. That all began to change when after five long years we bought the car I had been jones'n for. (or should that read "for which I had been Jones'n)


My little Mini Clubman has got me back on the road and in a big way! Of course it helps that my family is almost all the way across the continent from where I am. That is about the only thing that would motivate me to get behind the wheel of my car and start my epic journey. I drove all the way from South Cackalacka to New Mexico all by myself, a huge undertaking made even more monumental by my deep seated aversion to doing it.


Steve tabbed the road atlas and punched in my addresses in the garmin, I packed up the Clubman including a celebratory bottle of beer to be enjoyed in the hotel in Memphis after my first leg of the journey and off I went. I did fine, not a single glitch or wrong turn. I have to say the weirdest part of the whole journey was stopping for meals and eating by myself...If that's all I have to dread, who knows I may do it again! But for now, I have my eyes on a quilt shop in Charleston. I will just leave the beer in the fridge though and drink it when I get home.

4 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! I know you did it because I had the pleasure of your company for a few weeks. I loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what's in your command module--looks like your purse, some sort of leather looking box and is that your cell phone or ipod? Looks like you were good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey June,
    Lets see, Starting with my purse and going clockwise...there is a black plastic tub that held all my stuff, cough drops, atlas,mapquest printouts, in front of that is my CD wallet, a pillow for an armrest, then sitting on the soft purple cooler is the garmin GPS unit, inthe cooler were my road trip snacks, bottles of water, a little snack for the hotel, some bottled starbucks coffee...and hanging from the glove box, a trash container. The back was full of stuff too, two suitcases, a bag of clothes for Steve, Zach's weight bench, a miniature classroom I made for my sister and some quilting supplies so I could teach my neice how to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And boy were we all glad you took the leap and made that epic journey!I am going yo take pictures of my mini classroom that traveled all the way from South Cackalacka to New Mexico in your "mini" ha ha get it!! I want to put them on the internet for the world to see! It is the coolest thing I have ever seen! While i'm at it I should take some pics of the spectacular Auntie Marvelous-Omar- Stewie quilt too!

    ReplyDelete