Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Boomerang




I was going through a period of self discovery several years ago and was talking to Steve about what I ought to focus my attention on. I have dabbled in so many things that I enjoy I was not getting really good at any of them. I have tried to learn something new everywhere we go, its just a way for me to keep stretching myself. Some of them have stayed with me and others I have let go. Its been a good plan pretty much, giving me a great breadth of experience, if not so much depth. But if I were to master something, what would it be? That's the question I put to Steve and what he said really resonated with me " You always come back to quilting." He was right, no matter what I dabble in, I always come back to quilting. So a block in my diary/family tree quilt about my love for quilting had to make the cut. As I was looking through the Diary quilt book at the quilts pictured in the book, all made by various quilters I laughed at how many of them included a pin cushion block in their own quilt. I guess it's a motif that speaks to all quilters, even fresh, new aspiring quilters.


This summer I had the pleasure of coaching my niece Brandy through her first quilting project. We went to the store to lay in supplies and headed to the notions department, a place I have loved all my life. There we pored over all the notions, the tape measures and seam rippers and hem gauges choosing the things a beginning quilter would need. Then came time to choose a pin cushion...there were two choices, the classic tomato with strawberry emery, or a new design, a big colorful five petaled flower. I waited and watched while Brandy made her choice, I really did think she would go for the big bold flower, but no...much to my delight she opted in on tradition and went for the classic, that bodes well for the little grasshopper, she chose well!













Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. If I had heard this story I don't remember it. Brandy will be so pleased to be in your blog. and the choice she made is very surprising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am posting a message from your niece! Brandy says, " thank you for putting me in your blog, I learned a lot from what you taught me and I am looking forward to learning much more from my Auntie Marvelous!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I don't know you as well as Steve, what I do know is your love of quilting and that you always did seem to go back to quilting. I look forward to the day when you make my memory quilt. I can't think of any better treasure to have than something made with loving hands from a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junie, you know me better than Steve in some ways, its a girl thing...I am looking forward to making your memory quilt too. No rush, though, your heart will tell you when its time.

    ReplyDelete