Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Back from the Long Arm quilter











My Diary quilt is finished and hanging on the wall. I have taken to sending many of my quilt tops out to be professionally quilted on a long arm sewing machine. My hands have only so many stitches left in them and I am saving them up for my really dear projects. So my lap quilts, little projects like the diary quilt, some baby quilts I have in the works all get sent to my Long Arm quilter. She did a great job on the diary quilt and it makes me wish I was half decent at machine quilting, or had a spare $10,000 or so laying around so I could buy a long arm sewing machine...maybe one day, you just never know. I have been finding that I actually am reaching a lot of my long term goals and dreams, so why not add that to the list? After all, it could happen!



7 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks wonderful hanging. I'm learning from you that "things" can happen so may as well put it on the wish list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres to hoping what we have ont the list for Zach actually comes true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to see a new blog up. The quilt is wonderful and I certainly have enjoyed the stories connected to each square.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellie, that is a beautiful quilt! It came out quite nice! Tell me more about this long arm quilting thingy-majig! You never know who I am going to run into that may have one or know where you can get one, but I would not know it if I saw it at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jamie, I got to try a long arm at a quilt show in Omaha years ago, it was uber cool. I have tried free hand quilting on my sewing machine and have mangaged it, but I did not enjoy it all. I have read about some quilt shops renting time on their long arm machines too, so maybe when we retire I can find a shop that does that and wont need one of my own. Here is a description I copied from the web... Longarm quilting is the process by which a longarm sewing machine is used to sew together a quilt top, quilt batting and quilt backing into a finished quilt top. The longarm sewing machine typically ranges from ten to fourteen feet in length. One typically consists of an industrial sewing machine head, a ten-to-fourteen foot table, and several rollers on which the fabric layers are placed. Quilting using a longarm machine can take significantly less time than hand quilting or more traditional machine quilting. This time saving is a large factor in the gain in popularity of longarm quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should also add that Long arms come with handle bars on the sewing machine portion and you use them to do free motion quilting, or you can program it to do an over all design automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound uber cool! Maybe you should retire where there is a longarm machine that can be rented out! Or try teaching quilting at a community college and have them buy the longarm and rent it out to cover the cost of it! ooooohhhh yea that would be way cool! I see if I can talk Eastern in Roswell into it and you can retire here! I love it!

    ReplyDelete