Thursday, December 9, 2010

Do you know what I know


I am getting better about keeping Christmas Secrets, but there
was a time when I could scarcely keep my mouth shut. Its not that I didn't want people to have a surprise on Christmas morning, it was that I could not live with the uncertainty of whether or not I had made a good call on the the gift I had chosen! I was always desperate to know if I had hit the mark or missed it by a mile, and the only way to know for sure was to spill my guts. So I often would. I have moved on from there though in recent years and can now keep a Christmas secret with the best of them. Is it because I have more confidence in my gift selecting capabilities, or do I care less about whether or not my selection is well received? I think its actually due to the fact that as we have all grown older, and as the amount of money spent on gifts has increased, we have all come to see the wisdom in asking each other what we really want and then really getting it for each other, so there is less mystery all around. The gifts that are truly a surprise are the trifling gifts that if they are a good call are a source of delight, and if they are off their mark, then the heartache is proportionately small, in line with the amount of money and thought spent on them. So I guess I have not gained any great self control after all, but there for a minute I thought I had made a great leap forward.
The picture by the way was taken in the garden at Biltmore. He looks like he is about to whisper something good in your ear, does he not?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, he does and you always come up with the most wonderful gifts, large or small. True you have learned to hold on to the secrets far better than you used to. It really didn't seem to matter since the gift was so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete