Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Consolation Prize





As soon as Steve and I got over the disappointment of not going to
DC we had to get over the disappointment of not going to Germany...so we did what works best for us and we turned to retail therapy. Facing another 3 years in the kitchen designed for a bachelor we decided to trade in our old kitchen table for an island with breakfast bar. I gained much needed work surface, two cabinets, and two drawers, some more display space and on the far side, a place for my most used cookbooks. We added some groovy tractor seat stools and voila a kitchen I can live with! The best part is now I have a work surface that faces the TV in the living room, so now I can watch and chop at the same time! I did wonder though, why this island, though smaller than my kitchen table actually seemed more useful to me, and it came to me, its the height. Its the same height as a kitchen counter and so makes for a usable work surface. The table, unless you were sitting down, was too low to use in that way. The table is not gone though, its been moved upstairs in my sewing room, hoisted up on bed risers bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and is now my big work table up there. I guess we could have saved a lot of money and just put the table on the risers downstairs, but what it would have gained in functionality, it would have more than lost in style...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it. Yes, you could have done that with the old table but you would have missed the fun of the consoling therapy. I think you did well as usual. I really do mean it when I say you do ALL THINGS WELL! I'm excited for you to have a kitchen that you don't mind working in.I LOVE you AL 3 so very much!!!Happy Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete