Thursday, May 13, 2010

Long memories

A long memory is apparently a Furney family trait. I was visiting with my Uncle Bob in Ohio last summer when he told me he could remember far back into his early childhood to getting his diaper changed on his mother's lap, and because she was a generously proportioned woman, fearing that he would roll off for lack of space. So its not surprising to me that I too have a long memory and generous proportions. The memory thing is real a mixed blessing. The generous proportions not so much. True, being blessed with a long memory has allowed me to to hold on to some of the best times of my life with remarkable clarity. Steve is often amazed when I can recount specific details of an event that happened decades ago. It's nice to have a memory so vivid that the memories themselves seem almost tangible. The down side is that it makes it near impossible to forgive and forget. Oh, I've got the forgiveness part down pretty much, its the forgetting that I have trouble with. Once slighted, that same memory that lets me remember the color of my grandmothers living room walls from a time when I was too young to speak, also brings back the most unfortunate things in painfully sharp focus. Since I am hardwired to remember in hi def crystal clarity I need to come up with a more workable plan than forgive and forget. Perhaps a better strategy for me is "Forgive and Avoid" I will let you know how it works out. As for the generous proportions...When the famine comes and I am among the few survivors, I will use my long memory to pay homage all my skinny friends who did not make it through.

4 comments:

  1. I am into the habit of checking your blog nearly every day and even have it "bookmarked". I love and treasure them as it helps to keep you close to me while we live so far away. You are a wonderful "tusitala" as Robert Louis Stevenson was fondly called here in the islands. Me ke aloha pumehana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has something new happened to bring up this subject? Please let me know.
    Love, Oma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blasted Memory! How come I only got half the memory, but all of the generous portions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for thinking of me and talking about my wierd name. I guess I'm the last one to say or write it. Perhaps I will give in, perhaps not?

    Love, Omar

    ReplyDelete