Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mr. Humphries steps out

Apparently the "Jack 72 Hamster Resort" is not spacious enough for our Mr. Humphries. This flies in the astonished face of the Pet store worker who said and I quote "Hey everybody, she is buying this huge cage for a HAMSTER!" I was even applauded for my generosity and concern for the happiness and well being my little charge as I left the store with my supersized hamster cage, I am not exaggerating. Steve was there, he will attest to my veracity.
So imagine my surprise when Steve asked me if I had forgot something the night before....Now let me let this sink in for a minute. When Steve discovered Mr. Humphries at the bottom of a red plastic bin in the bottom of the downstairs coat closet the next morning his thought process was such that he assumed I shut up Mr. Humphries in the tub in the closet by mistake and had completely forgot to put her back in her cage after our nightly play session....Did that sink in? He thought I absent mindedly locked my pet hamster in a closet, rather than her cage....He did not even consider that Mr. Humphries had made an escape from said cage. It's moments like that when I call him "Son of Myrtle" because his Mother Myrtle's brain often seemed to work in a similar fashion. But I digress... I did put Mr. Humphries back in her cage with a fresh piece of strawberry and my best wishes for a good night and then I headed off to bed. Sometime in the night she managed to pop open one of the three doors to her Jack 72 Hamster resort and she lit out. She must have managed to descend the thirteen stairs to the kitchen, ran all the way across the linoleum to the living room, where she skirted the perimeter until happening on the closet door which clears the carpet on the bottom by a good inch and half. She shimmied under the door and must have climbed an umbrella to reach the top of the red plastic bin before she dropped in to see what she could see and that was it...She was trapped. She spent who knows how many hours in the bin until Steve heard her the next day and wondered what on Earth I was thinking locking her in the closest all night long...This is my life...shared with an ungrateful hamster and a man who's' first thought at finding the hamster in the closet is that I put it there....You just can't make this stuff up.

2 comments:

  1. This is too funny! Give them the world and they want more. Remember the time Ponchie had to root out your wandering hamster?. Good thing Steve went to the closet.
    Love, Oma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story and I agree, you just can't make this stuff up. It's a "man thing".

    ReplyDelete