Friday, October 15, 2010

Humilty




This block was chosen for Steve and is called Hither and Yon. I think it was an obvious choice for someone who has built a career on traveling the world. Steve has over the years collected flags from the countries he has been to. I stopped counting at 30...His job certainly has taken him hither and yon, and I have tagged along for a good part of it. He has been to places that I will never go though, like Korea, Guam, United Arab Emerates, Turkey, Bosnia, Iceland...the list goes on and on. If he gets the job in DC, and we should know within the next few months, his list of 30 or more countries is likely to grow even more!


While the block is called Hither and Yon, my blog post is called Humility for one glaring reason...I messed this block up and did not realize it until it was in the quilt. I could have ripped it out, fixed it and put it back but that would have taken a day or more. So I opted in on an old quilting tradition called a "Humility Block" Its a block that is intentionally done wrong lest the quilt maker, full of hubris, should make an atempt at perfection, something only God can do. Now technically the block was not done wrong on purpose, but I did discover it in time to fix it and chose not to, so I am laying claim to the Humility block excuse on those grounds. If you look at the two blue and white triangles, you will see that one is supposed to be opposite the other and not identical. But its in the quilt now and so it will stay, my homage to humility.

4 comments:

  1. Okay color me stupid but I had no clue that it was not supposed to look the way it does! that is why you are the artist and I am not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie.
    right now, with both blues on top and both whites on bottomit looks top heavy, but if one of the blues were on bottom and one on top it would be visually balanced But its gone to my Long Arm quiter now, so it is what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying, but like Jamie I wouldn't have known.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto for me also!

    ReplyDelete