Friday, October 1, 2010

Home is where the Air Force sends me

First let me start by apologizing for the sideways picture. Sometimes my camera and computer do things without being told to and I have not figured out how to undo the damage. Its much easier to beg forgivness than to figure out how to fix it.







This is the last of the blocks that represent me. I chose a wee house because I am such a homebody. I have heard people complain about being stuck at home, bored because there was nothing to do. I just cannot fathom that. There is always something for me to do at my house. I may be tired, or restless, frustrated, but never bored. I genuinely like being at home, and I have had plenty of them too! I have lived in no less than 16 houses/apartments, 10 towns, 6 states and three countries. I am not counting all the extended stays in hotels and billeting between moves! The weird thing is that no matter if I am living in stairwell houseing in Europe, a Hale in Kailua, or a split level duplex in Nebraska, my house has always felt like home to me. The one constant is the china cabinet. We have changed our furniture over the years, but not the china cabinet. Its been with us for almost our entire marriage and has been in 9 of my 16 homes. We even hang our Christmas stockings from the knobs of the china cabinet. Some of our homes have had fireplaces, and some have not, but they all had the china cabinet! All this moving around has surely taught me that Home is what and where I make it. Its been easy up till now. Without Zach this house somehow does not quite cut it, even with the china cabinet. I am looking forward to his visit in a few months and wonder if this new place he has never seen will feel like home to him at all. I know it will at least finally feel like it to me.

3 comments:

  1. My you sure do get around for my little homebody! I'm pleased that I have been able to visit most of your homes over the years and I strongly concur that they all feel like home thanks to you. It's no wonder that your men like you staying at home. I know you've made a room for Zach where you are and I think his home is where ya'll are. I am looking forward to our "final resting place" I know it will be home for me even though I have been in this house 37 years and will be over 40 when I leave it. I don't think I will be homesick at all, with your gifts you will bring to your(our) home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to our final resting place too! I think of all the fun we will have gussying up the house during different seasons. I am looking forward to fresh flowers around the place, Think about decorating our dining room at Christmas time with my aluminum tree and your platinum china! We could do a snow flake theme, or pinks and reds...or candy canes with red and silver...the fun we'll have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love staying at home! While it is fun getting out, meeting people, shopping, going to new or favorite restaurants, there is no place like home. It is always a 'head scratcher' to me when my boys say they're 'bored'. I have more interests than I have time and energy! I could stay in my craft room (and have) for hours. I can surf the internet for quite a spell also from looking at interesting mini sites to talking to my email gal pals. I think of that line from the film 'Juno' where she says something like you never realize how much you miss home until you've been someplace else for awhile. Not quoted verbatim but I think the message comes through. Kellie, you have had to make 'home' wherever you are in the world and it shows! Miss your hale in Maunawili!!

    ReplyDelete