Friday, June 4, 2010

I'll give you three guesses

This block is called Monkey Wrench and I will give you three guesses who its for. If you guessed Daddy, and I know you did, then you were right. When I spent time with Daddy's brother Bob this summer in Ohio I was prepared to hear him sound eerily like Daddy. I had spoken with him on the phone a few times, so the shock of that had worn off. It was a nice thing to hear in Bob's voice an echo of Daddy. What I was utterly unprepared for was how much Bob smelled like him! I think it was the acrid smell of engines and motors and grease on Bob that smelled familiar to me, and to see the grease permanently rimming the edges of his fingernails reminded me of the lava soap and grease smudges on the bathroom sink that Daddy always left behind, an occupational hazard of the wife of a mechanic, right Mom?

Bob told me a story about Daddy who at the tender age of 8 or 9 came to him asking for a ride into town. Bob could not take him until he had plowed the oat field for his dad and it would take him about three hours to do it. He went to work plowing and about 15 or 20 minutes later he heard a noise and turned to see Daddy driving another tractor and plow. He was astonished at the sight, not so much to see an 8 or 9 year old plowing a field, but because he knew the tractor had been sitting broken and out of service in the barn just a few minutes before. Daddy had diagnosed the problem, fixed it and hitched up the plow all in that little bit of time. I heard similar stories from his other brother too, so I think its no exaggeration to say that Daddy was a mechanical genius and what better block to illustrate that than the Monkey Wrench!

2 comments:

  1. PERFECT! Nothing more to say. You have said it all!
    Love, Omar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an excellent choice! I am glad that you got to spend time with Uncle Bob, and here all the stories! I too remeber that smell, though it has been a long time!

    ReplyDelete