Friday, June 4, 2010

My sisters choices

This block is called "Sisters Choice" so it got me thinking about my sister and some of the choices she has made, three in particular, and these are no small choices either. These choices where huge life altering choices. That's the thing with my sister Jamie, the quote" go big or go home" could be the motto blazoned on her crest. She does nothing in a small way, never has really. The first choice was to quit her job to go to London for a week at the request of our Bishop to meet with a very well known and successful Anglican evangelist who wrote about her in one of his books. Mind you, she did not want to quit her job, but that was the ultimatum she was given. "Go to London and you will be fired" So as is her want, she opted to take the path of most resistance and headed off to London. If she had not made that choice she would never have had the chance to make choice number two, adopting two special needs kids, both still in diapers, and raising them together with the help of their grandmother. It was the need to provide for her little family that led to choice number three, as a middle aged new mom to go back to school to get a degree in order to start a second career as a teacher. Any one of these choices would have been remarkable, but the cumulative effect of all three is astounding. Maybe because she has always lived larger than life, she lacks the perspective to see the enormity of the choices she makes. The rest of us see it and it makes our choices trifling by comparison.

6 comments:

  1. Both you girls make me so proud. Everyone has to make choices in their lives and I believe you esch have made the choices best for you and yours,I believe God is proud of you both and I KNOW I am. You have made your way in life that I could never do.YOU go GIRLS!!!!
    LOve, Omar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, when you put it that way it does sound a bit astounding! I am wondering if there is a theme running through the lives of the three of us. You, me and Mom! First there is Mom's moto "Anything worth doing is worth over doing" Then there is me with the "Go big or go home" and if my memory is working correctly, there is the "If i'm gonna be sick It better be big" Sister of mine who has overcome more adversity than anyone person should ever have to endure!
    Hmmmm! What do you suppose this all means?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't don't know what it all means, but the phrase "gluttons for punishment" keeps running through my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That phrase does have a ring of truth to it! I have been reading your blog to stewie and sharing the pictures with her,she is freally interested in learning how to make a quilt! I am not sure she has the patience that it requires but I suggested she talk with her Auntie Marvelous! Because the artisic gene escaped me beyond belief as you well know! By the way I love the colors in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Stewie that I would love to teach her to quilt, and not to worry, I know some patterns and techniques that yeild quick results so she will not need as much patience as you might think! I am glad you like the colors too! Your block had to be blue, naturally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duh! mine would be pink and green. Oh well, what can I say?
    Love Oma, Or is it Omar, I forgot?

    ReplyDelete