Friday, June 4, 2010

Mom's Cake Stand block

Long before she was the owner of True Confections cake shop Mom was making cakes. I can remember all kinds of wonderful birthday cakes she made for us! Every year she would ask me what sort of cake I wanted and I would say " a three layer cake" and every year she would make a wonderful three layer cake and I would be disappointed because it was not what I had imagined it would be. She finally got to the bottom of it one year and discovered that what I really wanted was a three tiered cake, a very different thing from a three layered cake! So, that year I got it; my first three tiered cake. It was a chocolate cake made of three graduated rectangles, one on top of the next. I loved it! Of course that was in the days before Mom or any of us knew you had to support such cakes internally with plates and dowels...still it only slumped a little ...and was the hit of my party that year. It was not long after that that Mom got into cake decorating in a big way and everyone on the block got to sample her work. She passed out decorated cakes for a while like some people give away their surplus zucchini crop each summer. It seems natural to me that Mom made a living for many years in the celebration business. She always could make even a simple event into a party, and she still does! Give her a reason and She'll put out the pretty plates and napkins, way too much good food and if you are really lucky a cake! So her block had to be the pattern called "cake stand"

6 comments:

  1. How sweet you are! I was sure my square would be about cakes in some way. I remember that choc cake, everytime it would sink a little I would add another layer of icing to bring it back up.Thanks for your kind words and I had forgotten about all the freebies in the name of practice. After all you REALLY can eat only so much cake! Love, Omar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remeber that cake! do you remember the time mom was practicing the doll cake? We sure used to have a lot of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the Easter basket cakes! And not only the decorated cakes, but the trimmings from the ones that puffed up over the top of the pans. It was all cake all the time there for a while, kind of like the Indian fry bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yea! I miss that! How about the Royal icing flowers? Mmmmmmm those were so good, unless of course you over ate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea, now you could not pay me to eat one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls! I had forgotten about the fry bread. You know the saying and my motto anything worth doing is worth overdoing!!! Go Oma!!

    ReplyDelete