Friday, November 12, 2010

Aloha Oy!






I finally did it. I finally began working on my Aloha Album. Its a bit of a risky move because I did a complete 180 on my choice of background fabric for the quilt. In the picture of the completed quilt that comes with the pattern you can see that they chose a pale honey colored fabric. My choice is pictured above. It's a fabric line called Stonehenge, and I chose the color way called flint.

One of the things I thought was most beautiful in Hawaii were the lava rock structures and walls you find there, or the lava fields on the big Island with ferns and plants just starting to grow. Plants show their tropical colors more vividly against the dark lava and that was what I was hoping to capture. Its not as simple as swapping out backgrounds though, as I am coming to find out. First how do you trace a pattern on dark fabric? With white transfer paper, I have learned. Also one of the keys to a good quilt is controlling contrast in the fabrics to make them do what you want them to do. My overall objective was for a high contrast quilt, that's easier to do on a light background. So I have spent the $100 for my flint fabric, now its my job to turn it into what I had envisioned. I will have to choose brighter and lighter fabrics than I had intended, I sure hope my gamble pays off. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I so agree. I loved all the lava rock walls. You can always come up with something original and make it work. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lava rock background is a perfect way to display the lovely quilt squares that depict Hawaii's beautiful plants and symbols. This will make the colors 'pop'. I am always pleasantly surprised when I visit the Big Island and see life growing out of what looks like utter desolation. I have seen Ohia trees, ferns and lehua growing straight out of what looks like solid rock. I was even surprised to see people building and living in homes right on the lava fields. Good choice and lots of luck putting this quilt together. I am sure it will be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the above post is from me. I didn't realize that Cam was signed in.

    ReplyDelete