Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This one is for Junie


Autumn is my favorite time of year. The leaves on the little maple tree in our front yard are just turning red, and there is a nip in the air first thing in the morning that makes me wonder if its time to turn on our heaters. I missed Autumn while I lived in Hawaii, at least the autumn that I had always known, of leaves turning colors, days cold enough to want a jacket, but warm enough that you could manage without one or the smell of wood smoke in the air. But for what Hawaii lacks in those sorts of autumnal delights it makes up for with the constant need to rake up dead leaves. I grew to hate the plumeria tree that grew in our front yard. Our neighborhood was a tidy one, and when I neglected to pick up after my dirty tree the neighbors did it for me, and nothing shamed me more. I resented having to pick up leaves year round. Other than the wonderfully sweet smelling flowers the only thing that Plumeria tree was good for was helping me pretend that Autumn had come to O'ahu. On nights when the wind kicked up I could hear the dead leaves scraping along the concrete of our driveway, and if I lowered the thermostat on the A/C a few more degrees I could almost convince myself that it was cold outside and the autumn leaves were rustling. As my time there grew I did actually learn to perceive the change in seasons. Its subtle, but its there. Still nothing beats a little fall color when you are deprived, so this post is for June, Enjoy the color and if you get a rainy day, make a pot of tea , lower your A/C enough to want a sweater,listen to the dead plumeria leaves rustling around outside and pretend you are snug in a house nestled in some autumn woods.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the sweet entry on your blog. What a beautiful picture. I still have fond memories of fall on the mainland but have managed to carve out a semblance of fall here. Right now it is raining, raining, raining. I can smell decomposing leaves and such. Someone in my neighborhood must have a fireplace as I can smell woodsmoke every so often. I think often during this time of me of being a kid in Ohio and walking to my gram's house, kicking up leaves, finding treasures like buckeyes and reveling in the colors of the changing trees and the stillness of the season to come...Thanksgiving and Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my younger years I equated both Autumn and dusk with dying and death Hated them both. Thanks be to God I can now see the beauty and the light and new life coming soon. I don't mind either one now. I agree with June, the photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny to me how very differently two people can see the very same thing. I am glad you see the pretty side of autumn now Mom. Not only do I love the strange quality of light during Autumn, but I like the shorter days too. I like coming home when its dark and cold outside and the house is warmly lit and welcoming. I think thats why Zach always liked coming to your house at night becuase it always looked as warm and inviting as it was (and is). So instead of death and dying I see Autumn and winter as homecoming...one and the same thing actually isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right. Life and light. The ultimate homecoming. You can really hear the leaves blowing outside today. I would rather stay in but Mija and I must go out. We will look forward to the warm homecoming!

    ReplyDelete