Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kit's block

When you move around as much as I have you have the chance to meet lots of people, not all of them are keepers. Some are interesting and are good company while you are with them, but when you go, you leave them where you found them and move on to the next place and the people who inhabit it. Once in a while though you do encounter a "keeper" someone who's value far exceeds the trouble of keeping in touch. I have found a few keepers along the way and you know who you are...One of them is my friend Kit from Omaha. She is as smart and as talented a person as you are likely to find. She is pretty and funny and has a dry wit that would be the envy of any Englishman. She is the one who first showed me what good applique work could look like, I still see in my minds eye the half finished applique quilt she showed me once and the startling blue bow that she had so finely worked that accented the floral applique...it was love at first sight. As a going away gift she gave me several fat quarters of fabric to begin my own applique project.



Funny how things come full circle...Now eight years later, I mentioned to Kit that I was looking for a pattern book for an applique masterpiece called The Little Brown Bird. I had decided that the time was nearly at hand for me to begin work on something of that magnitude, but finding the book was proving difficult. She said she thought she had the book on her shelf and since her body is in full blown mutiny she knew she would not ever make the quilt and wanted me to have the book. So she sent it to me and in return I promised to work one of the blocks from the book for her. She chose the rose basket block . I was so glad she did, because it was the one I wanted to do most of all. I was eager to try my hand at one of the blocks to see if I had the right stuff for this level of work. I think I do...what do you all think?

8 comments:

  1. Well now let me see, from what I see in the picture not only do you have the right stuff, you have stuff that I am not even sure what the stuff is. The one thing I am sure of is that whatever the stuff is, I do not have it nor will I ever have it! How ever if you would care to discuss the finer points of socio-psycholinguistics, I would be more than happy to give you my opinion. There are days that I wish I had gotten just a smidgen of the family art talent! Unfortunately I was completely skipped! I think my sister may have gotten and overdose of talent though, I say this as I still stare at my miniature classroom in aw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie, I think you have the same stuff, its just focused in a different area, creativity can manifest in countless ways, for example...remember Selena the pen? As for socio- psycholinguistics, all I know about it, is that it deals with early reading. Are you fer it or agin it? Personally I will always remain hooked on phonics, its that old dog/new trick thing at work there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well here is what socio-psycholinguistics is:The theory is that reading is not a passive process where readers soak up words and information from the page, but rather an active process where readers predict, sample, and confirm or correct their hypotheses about the written. With that said I am fer it!I agree with the phonics I find it hard to think outside the old tricks, but phonics does not work as well when you are teaching English to second language learners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful rose basket and the colors just 'pop'! What are you going to do with this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey June,
    This is the block I made for my friend Kit as a thank you for giving me the book that the pattern was found in. I mailed it to her as soon as it was done and photographed. After I finish the Aloha Album quilt I will begin work on the quilt that includes the rose basket block The Little Brown Bird quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie, I can see why phonics would not work on second language learners, the phonics thing pivots on the learner already knowing the language, just not how to read and write it, is that correct? I know living overseas I picked up a lot of the language by reading sale adds and package wrappers etc...picking up contextual clues as I went I can easily see why the socio- psycho linguine thing would work much better on second language learners, having been one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can I say? My two girls! Oh what a blessed woman I am! The talent cup runneth over in all directions. The block is breathtaking and Jamie's talent with Selena was quite amazing! God is good all of the time it is His nature!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right on the money Kellie Stew! If you make it back to Germany I can give you some pointer for second language learning, a big one with spanish and I'm sure other languages is cognates, look for them!

    ReplyDelete