Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lily Gilding, the saga continues













I don't know why I have such penchant for Christmas decorations, but I do. The trouble for me is that it is like the snow in Omaha. Growing up in New Mexico I saw plenty of snow, we got some most every year. Sometimes we would get over 6 inches in one snowfall and that was a lot for us! But it would always melt away. The only reminder that it had snowed at all would be the grubby piles of parking lot snow slowly shrinking away over the next few weeks. In Omaha it was different. It would usually snow for the first time in late October and then turn too cold for that snow to melt and then over the course of the winter the snow would accumulate till the piles on either side of the driveway would be too high to throw another shovel full on to them. After that first winter I learned to throw the scoops deep into the yard to make way for the next dozen snowfalls...So like the snow in Omaha my ornaments and decorations are starting to accumulate. I love them and want to keep them, but then I love the new stuff too and want to get it...I am putting myself on a 5 year self imposed ornament moratorium...I have promised not to buy another new ornament for 5 years and furthermore, I have promised to cull the collection of at least 5 ornaments each year (but that included accidental breakage) I am incorrigible though, I have already decided at the front end of my 5 year restriction exactly what I will buy when my time is up...green! I do not have enough green ornaments. Don't you know I will window shop for 5 years looking at all the wonderful green ornaments...I wonder if I will be able to do it? When I was struggling to find room on the tree for one more ornament, it seemed like a good idea, but already I am having serious misgivings!

4 comments:

  1. Everything is beautiful, as usual. I got most of mine done today. Zach came by and did a few things for me. I of course didn't put up things like you do cause I'm afraid you won't come on St. Patty's day and take them down. What I did is really pretty.I'll tell you next time we talk. A lot of the mess is put away. I will finish it tomorrow before Ellen & I go to lunch and pay for the art. By the way, Thanks to you I got to buy all new stuff this year.It was fun. The angel Juana is sporting a new silver star necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know on some days you may not feel like you are a lot better, but if you step back and consider that this year for the first time in a long time you have been excited about Christmas then you can see how far you have improved. I am glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. When I hurt so bad all over I feel like I haven't improved but I have. Especially emotionally and mentally

    ReplyDelete