Saturday, November 27, 2010

'Ohelo Berry Wreath





I can hardly believe it myself, but its true, I have finished the second block in my Aloha Album. I really did not think I would even begin this quilt for years, let alone actually make reasonable progress on it, but there you go. I have two of the seventeen blocks done. Of course one of those 17 is a monster center medallion block that will take months to complete, so I am still trying to pace myself. This one is an 'Ohelo berry wreath, I had not heard of 'Ohelo berries before so did a little research on line and found that they grow wild on the big island and make a nice jam. Like the breadfruit, I have never tried it, but I might since I also found that you can order jars of it online, or maybe a kind hearted friend who lives in Hawaii will take pity on me and send it in a care package one day (hint, hint)



I think the dark background is working pretty well. I will feel more comfortable in my decision as I get more blocks done and can get a better idea of the end result, but I feel good about it at this point. Now back to my sewing room where block number three is sitting waiting for me to move it toward completion. Its the block I went rogue on and decided to redesign entirely to suit me. Wait till you see it, I think its going to be a doozy!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with your speed, especially since I KNOW you do a lot of other things also. I agree, with the dark background. You just keep on truckin' girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. The dark background rocks (literally like black lava). I also can't believe your speed except that I know you are the Queen of multitasking! Ohelo jam. I've never had that and it is related to cranberries which I love. Hmmm, let me see about that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much for speed. Holiday "festivities" have sidelined all my quilt projects for the moment. All the Holiday stuff seems to be frontloaded this year, so after the 13th I am free and clear so maybe sometime near Christmas I will finish block number three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send me some pics of how you have decorated your hale! It's always so festive and pretty and my sister Jude always asks what you are doing too. I can't wait until the garage is going up so we can bring our holiday stuff home!!

    ReplyDelete