Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chubby Cheeks

Well, after what just happened I had to write about it on my blog...


I was upstairs in the FROG (Family Room Over Garage) doing my exercises when I heard an unusual commotion coming from Mr. Humphries cage. Its unusual because Hamsters are nocturnal and Mr. Humphries barely stirs when she hears me in the room during the day. The noise coming from her cage this morning was remarkable for its volume and length, enough of a fuss to make me quit my exercise routine to go see what was happening.

What I found was Mr. Humphries dangling from between the rungs of a little bird ladder in her cage leading from the bottom to one of the platforms. She was hanging not from her paws, but from her over stuffed cheek pouches! I guess she got a case of the midnight munchies, stepped out for a little nibble and decided to take a load of tidbits and bedding back to her upstairs house she has been sleeping in lately. She must have lost her footing on the ladder, slipped through until she got hung up on her chubby cheeks. Good thing I was in the room when it happened! When I looked over all I saw was a bulging hamster mouth, slightly agape with bedding poking out from between her teeth. I wish I had taken a picture, but it would have been cruel to leave her hanging by her face while I went looking for a camera. So I did the right thing, lowered the ladder and let her free herself. She made her way back to her house, taking the longer but less treacherous route and I went back to my pilates ring. While I am sorry for any trauma the incident brought to dear Mr. Humphries, I can't help but wonder what good things are in store for me on a day like this with a start like that!

3 comments:

  1. Poor little thing, it is good that you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love animal stories and this is a good one. The fixes they can get into. A few year's back, my cat, Sagwa, jumped into the dryer while I had my back turned. I finished loading it and turned it on only to hear thump, thump, thump and some weird meows. Big surprise when I open the dryer-- there's Sagwa who quickly jumped out and scampered off. Needless to say, he never got in the dryer again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love the animal stories! I lock my cat in the refrigerator over night once! Imagine my surprise when I opened the door the next morning!

    ReplyDelete